Passports and Passport Photos

​​​Clerk’s Office hours for passports are Monday – Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (excluding holidays)
The Clerk's Office now takes passport photos for a service charge of $15. View passport photo requirements.


Clerk of the Court
Official Records Department
201 E. University Avenue
Gainesville, Florida 32601

Clerk's Office Phone: 352-374-3625

Additional Information please visit -

Renew your passport using Form DS-82


Visit the official Department of State website at or contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 (TTD: 1-888-874-7793) or online at Customer Service Representatives are available Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time (excluding federal holidays). Automated information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document attesting to the identity and nationality of the bearer. In essence, it is a request on the part of the issuing government that officials of foreign governments permit the bearer to travel or sojourn in their territories and to afford them all lawful aid and protection. You may apply for a NEW U.S. Passport Book or a NEW U.S. Passport Card at the Clerk's office.

A valid Passport Book is required of U.S. citizens departing by air from the United States for any destination outside of North, South or Central America and for entering the United States from outside the United States.

A valid Passport Card may only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, please visit

The Clerk of Court's Office is an authorized local government agency that may accept new applications for passports. The application is mailed to one of the passport services designated by the Secretary of State. The application is reviewed, then either issued or denied, and returned to the applicant by mail. During peak travel periods, this process may take 10 weeks, so allow plenty of time before you intend to travel.

Clerk Processing Deadline

Due to the amount of time it takes to process a passport application, customers need to have their paperwork completed by 4:00 P.M.


You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport meets all five of these requirements:

  1. Is submitted with your application
  2. Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
  3. Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  4. Was issued within the last 15 years
  5. Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

For Form DS-82 and additional renewal information:

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, then Apply In Person using Form DS-11.

Please note: If you are not in the United States, please see Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States.


The appropriate forms may be picked up in advance in our office, any AAA office, or at most travel agencies. These forms are also available on the U.S. Department of State's website. Do not sign any form until after you come to our office, because the forms must be signed in the presence of a clerk at our office when it is filed.


If there is no official record of your birth, you will need to contact the proper agency (Bureau of Vital Statistics or Health Department) of your birth state. Once a letter is issued by the proper agency that there is no official record of your birth, our office can use other documentation for proof of citizenship.

If you are a naturalized citizen, the original naturalization certificate must accompany the application for a passport. It will be returned by the passport agency. If you are not a U.S. citizen but need a passport, you must contact the nearest consulate for your country.


A visa is permission granted by the government of a country to an alien to enter that country and to remain for a specific period of time. It is the responsibility of the traveler to obtain necessary visas, if any, before proceeding abroad. Visas are obtained from the embassy or consulate of the country or countries to which the applicant wishes to travel.


If your passport has been lost, stolen or mutilated, you must complete a new application with new pictures, birth certificate, other acceptable identification, and affidavit of lost or stolen passport. The forms are available in this office as well as the U.S. Department of State's website. The cost will be the same as applying for a new passport.

Denial of Application

If you are behind in your child support payments in excess of $2,500, you are ineligible to receive a U.S. passport. If this applies to you, Passport Services strongly recommends that you contact the appropriate State child support enforcement agency to make payment arrangements before applying for a passport.

Passports and Confidentiality

Information obtained from or in connection with a passport application is privileged under the Privacy Act of 1974 and under Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 51.33, and must not be divulged to any person or organization inquiring about such records. Requests for information concerning an applicant's personal background, address, travel plans, etc., should be referred to: Passport Services Washington, D.C. 20524.

Statistical data concerning passport applications handled by the Clerk's office, not including any information about specific applications, may be released (i.e., how many passport applications have been handled in a certain period).