Passports and Passport Photos

The Clerk’s Office is an authorized local government agency that may accept new applications for passports. Following acceptance, the application is sent to a U.S. State Department service center where the application is reviewed for issuance. If approved, the applicant will receive the new passport by mail. During peak travel periods, this process may take 10 or more weeks, so please allow plenty of time before you intend to travel.


Passport services are available Monday – Friday 8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (excluding holidays).


Appointments are encouraged for passport services to ensure the timeliest service. Please call 352-374-3625 to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins without an appointment will be assisted between those with appointments until 3:30 p.m.

Passport Photos

The Clerk's Office offers passport photo services. There is a charge of $15 for the service. Photo services are offered until 5:00 p.m. Certain requirements must be met for an acceptable photo. View passport photo requirements here.


Clerk of the Court
Official Records Department
201 E. University Avenue
Gainesville, Florida 32601
Clerk's Office Phone: 352-374-3625

Processing Deadline

In order to meet required processing deadlines, all paperwork must be complete and accepted before 4:00 p.m. If unable to complete the application in time, the applicant will need to return another day to complete the process before the deadline.


There are several different fees assessed for passport applications depending on the application. At minimum, there is an application fee and an execution fee. The application fee and the execution fee are paid separately and based on the type of passport product applied for. For a review of fees by the State Department, please visit

Photo services are a separate service offered by the Clerk’s Office and cost $15.


Many countries require a passport to have several months of validity remaining for entry. Don’t wait until the last minute to renew your passport to ensure ease of travel.

You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport meets all five of these requirements:

  1. Is submitted with your application
  2. Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
  3. Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  4. Was issued within the last 15 years
  5. Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

For Form DS-82 and additional renewal information:

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, then Apply In Person using Form DS-11.

Additional Information

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document attesting to the identity and nationality of the bearer. In essence, it is a request on the part of the issuing government that officials of foreign governments permit the bearer to travel or sojourn in their territories and to afford them all lawful aid and protection. You may apply for a NEW U.S. Passport Book or a NEW U.S. Passport Card at the Clerk's office.

A valid Passport Book is required of U.S. citizens departing by air from the United States for any destination outside of North, South or Central America and for entering the United States from outside the United States.

A valid Passport Card may only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, please visit

For additional information, you may visit the official Department of State website at or contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 (TTD: 1-888-874-7793) or online at Customer Service Representatives are available Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time (excluding federal holidays). Automated information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


The appropriate forms may be picked up in advance in our office, any AAA office, or at most travel agencies. These forms are also available on the U.S. Department of State's website. Do not sign any form until after you come to our office, because the forms must be signed in the presence of a clerk at our office when it is filed.


If there is no official record of your birth, you will need to contact the proper agency (Bureau of Vital Statistics or Health Department) of your birth state. Once a letter is issued by the proper agency that there is no official record of your birth, our office can use other documentation for proof of citizenship.

If you are a naturalized citizen, the original naturalization certificate must accompany the application for a passport. It will be returned by the passport agency. If you are not a U.S. citizen but need a passport, you must contact the nearest consulate for your country.


A visa is permission granted by the government of a country to an alien to enter that country and to remain for a specific period of time. It is the responsibility of the traveler to obtain necessary visas, if any, before proceeding abroad. Visas are obtained from the embassy or consulate of the country or countries to which the applicant wishes to travel.


If your passport has been lost, stolen or mutilated, you must complete a new application with new pictures, birth certificate, other acceptable identification, and affidavit of lost or stolen passport. The forms are available in this office as well as the U.S. Department of State's website. The cost will be the same as applying for a new passport.

Denial of Application

If you are behind in your child support payments in excess of $2,500, you are ineligible to receive a U.S. passport. If this applies to you, Passport Services strongly recommends that you contact the appropriate State child support enforcement agency to make payment arrangements before applying for a passport.

Passports and Confidentiality

Information obtained from or in connection with a passport application is privileged under the Privacy Act of 1974 and under Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 51.33, and must not be divulged to any person or organization inquiring about such records. Requests for information concerning an applicant's personal background, address, travel plans, etc., should be referred to: Passport Services Washington, D.C. 20524.

Statistical data concerning passport applications handled by the Clerk's office, not including any information about specific applications, may be released (i.e., how many passport applications have been handled in a certain period).