Steps for Applying for a Marriage License
- Prior to applying, read the Family Law Handbook (online or hard copy booklet is available at the Clerk’s Office).
- Complete the Online Marriage Application (on your home computer or on the public access computers at the Clerk’s Office). Note – When applicable, entry of divorce decree date or death date of spouse is a required field.
- Both applicants must come to the Marriage License Office in the Alachua County Family and Civil Courthouse Monday through Friday (8:15-4:30 p.m.) to finish the process with the marriage license clerk. Bring photo ID and know your Social Security Number (if applicable). You will be required to pay the marriage license fee, take an oath, and sign the license and other forms at that time.
- There is a 3-day waiting period for Florida residents between the date the license is issued and the date the parties can be married unless waived pursuant to law.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed in the state of Florida and take place within 60 days of the license being issued.
- Please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for more details and information.