Any residents of Alachua County with Special Needs who:
- Do not have any local family assistance for transportation and sheltering in a disaster event such as a hurricane.
- Do not have any other option but to request public transportation and shelter.
- Live alone or with another person with Special Needs.
- Reside in unsafe housing during a storm, such as a mobile home.
- Cannot drive or access any transportation to a safe shelter.
- If you, or a person you know, is eligible for the Special Needs Program, call the Division of Emergency Management to request a registration form as soon as possible (352) 264-6500. Registrations should be mailed to: P.O. Box 548, Gainesville, FL 32602.
People requiring hospital care to treat severe or advanced medical conditions are NOT eligible for this program and should make prior arrangements with their doctors for transportation and evacuation.
Residents of Assisted Living Facilities such as nursing homes, group homes or retirement facilities. These facilities have their own emergency plans, and should be able to assist their residents with transportation and shelter.