Foster Grandparents Program
To match low-income volunteers aged 55 and over with children and
young people who have special needs, in order to increase opportunities
for them to succeed, while providing challenging and rewarding
experiences for the volunteers.
The purpose of the Foster Grandparent Program is to provide volunteer
assignment for low-income citizens 55 years of age or older to special
needs children. Foster Grandparents devote 15-40 hours per week to the
service of children who have developmental, emotional, physical, social
or medical challenges.
- The fulfillment of being needed and helping others
- Receiving non-taxable stipend payment of $2.65 per hour for time served
- Supplemental medical and automobile insurance
- Transportation provided or reimbursement for mileage up to 20 miles per day
- Daily meal or meal reimbursement
- Free annual physical examination
- Paid personal leave benefits
- Four hours of monthly in-service training
- Social opportunities with other grandparents and community persons who also care about young children
- Annual recognition event and one to two other special events per year
- Monthly newsletter
Who is eligible?
- Persons age 55+
- Meet income guidelines
- Be in reasonably good health
- Enjoy working with children
- Residents of Alachua County
- Complete forty hours of pre-service training
- Pass background screenings
Become a Foster Grandparent
Help special needs children in your community by providing them with the love, encouragement, support and assistance they need.
For more information please call (352) 264-6731.
Funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners.
To match low-income volunteers aged 55 and
over with children and young people who have special needs, in order to
increase opportunities for them to succeed, while providing challenging
and rewarding experiences for the volunteers.
- Sheryl Baker
- FGP Program Coordinator
- 218 SE 24th Street
- Gainesville, FL 32641
- Phone: 352-264-6731
- Fax: 352-264-6701
If any accommodations are needed for persons with disabilities, please contact the Equal Opportunity Office at (352) 374-5275 or (352) 374-5284 TDD.