This press release put out at the request of the Alachua County Health Department.
ALACHUA COUNTY, FL - The Alachua County Health Department (ACHD) urges children and adults to get the seasonal flu vaccine and to take precautions to limit their risk of exposure to seasonal flu, an infection of the respiratory tract caused by the influenza virus. Compared with most other viral respiratory infections, such as the common cold, influenza infection often causes a more severe illness. “The most effective precautions we can use to fight illness are getting vaccinated before flu season and practicing good hygiene regimes,” said Anthony Dennis, Environmental Health Director, Alachua County Health Department. “With the holidays approaching, and many people traveling, these simple precautions may lessen your risk of exposure of the virus or transmission to others.”
Be sure to watch for symptoms of the flu, such as headache, fever, a severe cough, runny nose or body aches. Contact your primary care physician or a local hospital immediately if symptoms appear.
The Florida Department of Health urges the following preventive steps for the flu:
· Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
· Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
· Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
· If you are sick with flu–like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone, without the use of fever-reducing medicine, except to get medical care or for other necessities.
· Get re-vaccinated EVERY YEAR because flu viruses change each year
The ACHD will be conducting three Flu Clinics at the Health Department, located at 224 SE 24th Street, Gainesville, on December 27, 2012, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., January 15 and 16, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Alachua County school aged children can get the intra nasal FluMist® vaccine for free. Health Department clients can get the flu shot for free and non-clients can get the flu shot for $25.00 (many insurance plans cover the cost). For additional information call 334-7913.
The goal of the Alachua County Health Department is to promote, protect, maintain and improve health and safety of all the citizens and visitors