Preserves are purchased to protect, preserve and enhance the unique natural and cultural resources found on the properties and to provide an enjoyable and educational passive recreational experience. Some preserves own a variety of upland and wetland habitats which provide wildlife habitat and support aquifer recharge. Some preserves are part of local and statewide efforts to protect and maintain significant wildlife corridors and protect areas of diverse habitats and relatively mature and diverse undisturbed forest within an area of Alachua County that is rapidly urbanizing.
Vision and Values
Alachua County Forever will be a conscientious, innovative, progressive leader in land conservation and use acquisition, stewardship and funding development practices to preserve the environmental integrity of Alachua County and improve the quality
of life for current and future generations.
- To be accountable to the taxpayers.
- To acquire the most environmentally significant habitats.
- To use a "No Loss of Conservation Values" stewardship ethic.
- To treat partners, landowners and sellers with respect.
- To leverage the County's local investment.
- To encourage a community land ethic.