Household Waste

Proper Disposal/Recycling of Household Hazardous Wastes
Proper Disposal/Recycling of Household Hazardous Wastes

Unwanted chemicals, automotive fluids, paints, electronics and various other hazardous materials and products  generated or discarded by households can be toxic to the public and pose a threat to the environment if improperly discarded.

The Alachua County Environmental Protection Department provides a FREE for County residents, county-wide service for the proper management of hazardous and toxic materials and waste. at the Alachua County Hazardous Waste Collection Center (HWCC) and at five Rural Collection Centers.

A similar Fee Based service for qualified small businesses is also offered at the HWCC.

Additionally, selected items such as Used Oil, Fluorescent lamps and some batteries can be disposed/recycled at several local businesses.

The Alachua County Hazardous Waste Collection Center is open year-round to the public. Call 352-334-0440 for more information.

Materials Accepted at the HWCC and Rural Collection Centers
Materials Accepted at the HWCC and Rural Collection Centers

Materials accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center, at Leveda Brown Environmental Park and Transfer Station, 5125 NE 63rd Ave., Gainesville, FL. include:

• Poisons
• Flammable Liquids
• Corrosives
• Used Motor Oil and Filters
• Brake Fluid, Transmission Fluid
• Automotive Batteries
• Antifreeze
• Stale Gas
• Paints and Other Surface Coatings
• Aerosol Containers
• Dry Cell Batteries
• Fluorescent Lamps
• End of Life Electronics (E-Scrap or E-Waste)
• Old TV's, computers, computer monitors, stereos,VCR's,etc..
• Propane tanks
• Unwanted medicines/pharmaceuticals
• Waste vegetable Oil
 * Flares and Ammunition
Medical Sharps, needles, and syringes are able to be accepted by the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center (5125 NW 63rd Avenue, Gainesville, Florida 32609), on behalf of the Alachua County Public Health Department, but these items are potentially dangerous to the staff that will handle them, so they MUST be brought in approved SHARPS containers, or a hard sided plastic with a closed top or lid (such as a milk jug, a laundry detergent container, etc.). This allows for the safe handling of the disposed SHARPS by staff, and we appreciate your cooperation. For more information, please call: 352-334-0440. 
Materials accepted at the Rural Collection Centers, include only the following:   
• Automotive Fluids
• Automotive Batteries
• Dry Cell/Button Batteries (all types)
• Latex and Oil based Paint
• Used Oil Filters
• Fluorescent Tubes
• Used Motor Oil (5 gal. limit per person)
• Electronics (computers, TVs, consumer electronics)
• Aerosol cans
• Waste vegetable oil
Collection Centers DO NOT ACCEPT the following materials:
•Radioactive materials
•Infectious or biological wastes
•Asbestos, and asbestos containing materials
•Pressurized gas cylinders (except Propane Tanks)
•Narcotics and Controlled Substances  
Fluorescent Lamp Recycling
Fluorescent Lamp Recycling

With the increased use of energy efficient fluorescent lamps and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), comes the need to properly collect and recycle the lamps due to the small amount of mercury they contain to insure the protection of the environment. In addition to fluorescent lamps, mercury containing devices such as thermostats and thermometers should be brought to the Hazardous Waste Collection Center or to the Rural Collection Centers for proper disposal.

These local retailers also accept only fluorescent lamps and CFLs for recycling, call first for any special requirements:

  • Ace Hardware, Millhopper, 264-3466
  • Ace Hardware, Archer, 495-3999
  • Ace Hardware, University, 378-4650
  • Hawthorne Ace Hardware, 481-9928
  • Ace Hardware, Jonesville, 727-4777
  • Ace Hardware, Newberry, 352-472-2525
  • Alachua Ace Hardware, 386-462-1201
  • All Home Depot and Lowe's locations are now accepting CFL's for recycling
Used Oil Recycling
Used Oil Recycling

Used oil can be properly disposed/recylced at the HHWCC and the Rural Collection Centers.

Additionally used oil can be properly disposed/recyled at participating automotive repair shops and automotive parts stores. To find the closest participating public used oil collection center location, call toll free 1-800-741-4337 and enter your zip code.

Local Participating Business Offering Used Oil Disposal/Recycling

All Discount Auto Parts Stores: (5 Gal. Limit per person, per day)
1035 E. University Ave 371-7515
239 N.W. 75th Street 332-8931
2830 N.W. 13th Street 371-3083
14560 MLK Blvd, Alachua 904-418-1140
725 W. Noble Ave, Williston 352-528-9800
All Auto Zone Stores: (20 Qt. Limit per person, per day)
3919 N.W. 13th Street 378-1628
1341 E. University Ave 378-2023
University Shell: (up to 5 gal.)
215 N.W. 13th Street 378-0161
Shelby Texaco: (1 gal.)
I-75 and Newberry Rd 331-4444
Pep Boys: (3 gal., in a clean container
7725 Newberry Rd 332-9444
City Boys Tire & Brake: (3 gal.
330 N. Main St. High Springs 904-454-2193

If you have any question regarding Household Hazardous Waste, please contact at (352)-334-0440 or the ACEPD at (352)-264-6800.

Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal
Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal

The Alachua County Environmental Protection Department Hazardous Waste Collection program offers many locations in the County where residents can properly and safely dispose of unwanted pharmaceuticals or over-the-counter medications at no charge.  Click on the link below to find out more about our unwanted pharmaceutical collection and disposal service or contact the Alachua County Hazardous Waste Collection Center for more information at  352-334-0440.

Pharmaceutical Collection Information

Please see our brochure on responsible disposal of unwanted medicines.

Home Heating Oil Recovery - Free Service to County Residents
Home Heating Oil Recovery - Free Service to County Residents

Alachua County residents can now properly dispose of unwanted home heating oil from tanks located on your property free of charge.  If you have converted to gas or electric heating systems and/or you need to pump out your home heating oil tank, complete the Home Heating Oil Recovery Application Form​ and mail, fax or email the completed form to the address indicated on the form.   If you need information about this free service program  contact the Alachua County Hazardous Waste Collection Center at 352-334-0440. Once a properly completed application is received, you will be placed on a list for pump-out. This is a free service for residents and the heating oil will be properly disposed by the Hazardous Waste Collection staff. Removing home heating oil from storage tanks will eliminate any potential of leaking tanks which could result in contamination of the soil and groundwater.

Boat Gas Pump Out Service is also available at no cost to Alachua County residents at the Hazardous Waste Collection Center during normal hours of operation, please call in advance for specific requirements.

Please email us at to obtain a copy of the Home Heating Oil Recovery Application Form.

Thermostat Recycling
Thermostat Recycling

The HWCC collects mercury containing thermostats and other mercury containing devices in conjunction with the Thermostat Recycling Corporation. Non-digital thermostats contain the heavy metal mercury which poses serious environmental and health concerns. Simply bring your thermostat to the HHWCC for proper disposal. Other mercury containing devices and articles such as mercury fever thermometers can be properly disposed as well.

Reuse/ Recycling Program
Reuse/ Recycling Program

The Hazardous Waste Collection Center also has a program for residents of Alachua County that provides a wide range of products for use in their home. Products such as latex and oil based paint, aerosol cans, cleaning products, fertilizers, pool chemicals, and automotive fluids that are dropped off by residents that are still in the original containers with directions for use are placed in the Reuse/Recycling Area at the Hazardous Waste Collection Center and are available for FREE to residents. The area is open during normal hours of operation.

Fuel Pump-out Service for Boats
Fuel Pump-out Service for Boats

​Free for Alachua County residents up to 25 gallons. Please call for appointments. 352-334-0440​


Related Links

Please see our:
  • Hazardous Waste Collection Center Brochure
  • Fluorescent Lamp Disposal Brochure