Only Rain Down the Drain!
The Alachua County Water Quality Code was adopted by the Board of County Commissioners in August of 2002. The code applies county wide and is enforced by Alachua County Environmental Protection Department. Highlights of the code include:
- Only stormwater (with a few exceptions) can be discharged to surface waters, stormwater collection systems, and groundwater
- Best Management Practices must be used on construction sites to reduce erosion and sedimentation
- Cleanup or monitoring of pollutant discharges may be required
- Civil Citations (FINES) may be issued for violating the code
- View a Fact Sheet on the code
Complaint Response Program
ACEPD investigates citizen's complaints regarding environmental issues, including potential violations of the Water Quality Code. This is the primary means of compliance verification for the Water Quality Code. Complaints can be reported by telephone at (352) 264-6800 or by clicking HERE.
When conducting routine inspections or investigating complaints ACEPD's goal is to protect the environment by obtaining compliance with the Water Quality Code or any other applicable environmental code. In the vast majority of cases compliance is obtained by providing information, education and best management practices to the responsible parties. However in some cases an enforcement process needs to be initiated and a warning or civil citation is issued.