The 9-1-1/Communications Office comes under the direction of Alachua County Fire Rescue. The Office is responsible for the following and other functions:
- Maintaining and ensuring the accuracy of the Automatic Location Information
Database for Alachua County.
- Acting as liaison between the 9-1-1 service provider, private sector, other
governmental agencies and the County's 9-1-1 system.
- Researching and developing plans to expand and upgrade the 9-1-1 system
- Researching the latest technologies impacting 9-1-1 and devising strategies
to integrate them into the 9-1-1 system.
- Coordinating the plan of information within the county and among outside agencies.
- Coordinating with local, state and federal agencies in maintaining all mandated
- Maintaining computer-based mapping systems for emergency location purposes.
- Coordinating the collection of data for street addressing of local communities.
The 9-1-1/Communications Office is governed by Florida Statute 365.171, the
statute providing the basis and funding source for Enhanced 9-1-1 systems in the state.
This statute is further defined by the State of Florida 9-1-1 Emergency Telephone