ALACHUA COUNTY, FL - On June 9, 2015, at 4 p.m., the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners will hold a Special Meeting solely for the purpose of conducting a closed attorney-client litigation strategy session concerning the County's pending lawsuits against the City of Alachua. The procedures applicable to this infrequently used meeting procedure are governed by Section 286.011(8) of the Florida Statutes. Based on that statute section, and for the limited purpose specified there, attorney-client litigation strategy sessions are exempt from the Sunshine Law and can be closed to the public.
These three statutorily required elements have or will occur in connection to this meeting:
- The attorney-client session was requested by the County Attorney to the Board in a public meeting on May 26, 2015;
- The meeting was advertised to the public in the Gainesville Sun on June 3, 2015; and,
- The meeting will begin and end during another recessed public meeting; the regularly scheduled June 9, 2015 meeting.
Rather than interrupt the business at this upcoming regular meeting this Special Meeting was added to the calendar for the June 9, 2015 Regular Meeting, which begins at 9 a.m. The Regular Meeting, when complete, will be recessed and the attorney client meeting will be held at 4 p.m. just before the scheduled evening Public Hearing. The Public Hearing will proceed as planned and as noticed at 5 p.m., following the Special Meeting/closed attorney-client session.
Only the following persons will attend the closed session, as prescribed by statute:
- Commissioner Charles Chestnut, IV
- Commissioner Robert Hutchinson
- Commissioner Mike Byerly
- Commissioner Ken Cornell
- Commissioner Lee Pinkoson
- Michele Lieberman, County Attorney
- Dr. Lee A. Niblock, County Manager
- Sylvia Torres, Assistant County Attorney
- Corbin Hanson, Assistant County Attorney I
- Certified Court Reporter from VanLandingham, Durscher, and VanLandingham
For more information, contact the Alachua County Communications Office at 352-374-5204.