Alachua County Manager Rick Drummond will act as the Master of Ceremonies. The event will include the Korean War Veterans Color Guard and comments by Alachua County Commission Chair Paula M. DeLaney, County Facilities Manager Charlie Jackson, County Parks Superintendent Robert Avery, and the President of the Korean War Veterans Advisory Board Don Sherry.
In speaking of the project Drummond said, “This project was paid for by the voter approved Wild Spaces/Public Places Sales Tax and is another great example of the County Commission following through on a promise made to the citizens of Alachua County.”
Freedom Community Center features:
· $1.8 million approximate cost
· Single story concrete masonry with 5,311 sq. ft.
· 1,400 sq. ft. of multi-use porch areas
· Water efficient fixtures including low flush toilets and urinals
· Highly efficient Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) air conditioning system
· Three flexible meeting areas of different sizes depending on occupancy requirements
· Outdoor restroom facilities for use during park operating hours
· Indoor restroom facilities to accommodate meeting rooms
· Three separate entrances from the main lobby to the flexible meeting rooms for convenience
· Working catering space for citizen convenience
· A concession porch area has rest room facilities with a family restroom
· Full storage area for the Veterans Monument equipment
· Built with ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) which save energy for the conditioned envelope of the structure
· Use of regional materials
· The exterior finishes surfaces are designed for low maintenance and durability
· The landscaping will be Florida friendly plants to match the park theme
· The goal is to certify the building under Green Globes standards
· An indoor air-conditioned structure for public events
· Sustainable building providing reduced operating cost
· Additional storage space for Veteran Memorial
· Additional lighting for park use
· Congressional Medal of Honor Winner Memorial
For information on the building construction contact Project Manager Allan Waters at 352-384-3017.
For information about using the Freedom Community Center contact Parks Superintendent Robert Avery at 352-374-5245 ext. 1247.
If any accommodations are needed for persons with disabilities, please contact the Equal Opportunity Office at (352) 374-5275 or (352) 374-5284 TDD.