Media Release

SE 35th Street Park Celebration

Friday, August 25, 2006 1:00 AM
12:01 p.m.
ALACHUA COUNTY - The SE 35th Street Park Celebration will take place on Monday, August 28, 2006 at 6:30 p.m. at the park, which is located at 2315 SE 35th Street, Gainesville.  Alachua County will be celebrating the award of a $200,000 Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP) grant and recognizing all who have contributed time and money towards the upcoming development of the park. The public is invited to join in the celebration.
Commissioner Cynthia Chestnut will provide a history of the park and recognize all of the groups and individuals who contributed to the development of the park.  The $200,000 state grant check will be presented by an emissary of Representative Ed Jennings, Jr.  Refreshments will be available.
The land for the park was originally acquired by Alachua County in 1996 for development of a community park, and state grants were awarded for its development.  In 2005 the County began holding meetings to redesign SE 35th Street Park as a neighborhood park. Clark Butler, a prominent local developer, donated $250,000 to the project in 2005.  On August 8, 2006 the County Commission approved a bond issue that provides $690,000 for the project.   On August 22, 2006 the County was awarded the $200,000 FRDAP grant for the project.
In speaking of the project, Alachua County Parks Superintendent Robert M. Avery said, "This park is sorely needed to serve the youth and families of this area.  It will contribute greatly to the quality of life for County residents in this area."
For more information, please contact Mr. Avery at (352) 374-5245.


  • Mark Sexton
  • Communications & Legislative Affairs Director
  • Phone: 352-374-5204
  • Cell: 352-283-2317

If you have a disability and need an accommodation in order to participate in a County program, service or public meeting, please contact the Alachua County Equal Opportunity Office at 352-374-5275 at least 2 business days prior to the event. TTY users please call 711 (Florida Relay Service).