ALACHUA COUNTY, FL – The Alachua County Office of Waste Alternatives is taking their Buy S.M.A.R.T. (Save Money And Reduce Trash) program to local grocery stores from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursdays during the month of July 2010. Representatives will be on hand to offer shoppers information about how to buy S.M.A.R.T. The following is a list of locations and dates:
· July 8: Ward’s Supermarket, 515 NW 23rd Ave., Gainesville
· July 15: Publix – Hunter’s Crossing, 5200 NW 43rd St., Gainesville
· July 22: Publix –Main Street, 1302 N Main St., Gainesville
· July 29: Hitchcock’s– Hawthorne, 903 NE HWY 301, Hawthorne
Buy S.M.A.R.T. focuses on using the 4Rs when shopping; reduce, reuse, recycle and rethink. Shoppers learn to ask the following questions:
1. Can the product’s packaging be recycled after you are done?
2. Can it be reused?
3. Is it over packaged?
4. Is the packaging made from recycled content?
Shoppers who visit Buy S.M.A.R.T. table will receive a free reusable shopping bag or shopping bag clip and a Buy S.M.A.R.T. pocket guide.
For more information, contact Jennifer Seitz, Alachua County Office of Waste Alternatives at 352-548-1296.