Children's Trust of Alachua County
The Children's Trust of Alachua County
The Children's Trust of Alachua County has been established pursuant to Section 125.901 Florida Statute and Alachua County Ordinance 18-08, as approved by the voters in November 2018 and its purpose is set forth by statute and ordinance. Over 61% of the Alachua County voters approved the creation of the Trust. The purpose of the Children's Trust of Alachua County is to provide children's services throughout Alachua County.
The powers and authority of the Children's Trust of Alachua County includes:
- To provide and maintain within the County such preventive, developmental, and rehabilitative services for children as the council determines are needed for the general welfare of the County.
- To provide such other services for all children as the council determines are needed for the general welfare of the County.
- To allocate and provide funds for other agencies in the County which are operated for the benefit of children, provided they are not under the exclusive jurisdiction of the public school system.
- To collect information and statistical data which will be helpful to the council in deciding the needs of children in the County.
- To consult with other agencies dedicated to the welfare of children to the end that the overlapping of services will be prevented.
- To lease or buy such real estate, equipment, and personal property and to construct such buildings as are needed to execute the foregoing powers and functions, provided that no such purchases shall be made or building done except for cash with funds on hand or secured by funds deposited in financial institutions.
- To employ and pay, on a part-time or full-time basis, personnel needed to execute the foregoing powers and functions.
- To enter into agreements with government agencies to provide administrative services.
- All powers, functions, and duties specified in Section 125.901, Florida Statutes.
Designated Members of the Children's Trust of Alachua County Advisory Board:
Superintendent of Schools: Karen Clarke
Alachua County School Board Member: Tina Certain
(selected by the School Board)
District Administrator for District 3: Cheryl Twombly
of the Children & Families or Senior Leadership designee
Alachua County Board of County
Commisisoners: Commissioner Ken Cornell
(selected by the Board of County Commissioners)
Judge assigned to juvenile
cases: Circuit Judge Susan Wilson Bullard
Nominees for Remaining 5 Members for Children's Trust of Alachua County Advisory Board:
The remaining five members will be appointed by the Governor's Office from a list of names submitted by the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners as nominated on December 11, 2018:
Group 1: (4 year term) Patricia Snyder, Maureen Conroy, Herman Knopf
Group 2: (1 year term) Thomas Logan, Cinton Alford, Nancy Hardt
Group 3: (4 year term) Maggie Labarta, Bruce Ferris, Elizabeth Patton
Group 4: (2 year term) Gerald Duncan, Karen Cole-Smith, Tarcha Rentz
Group 5: (3 year term) Chandra Hardy, Lee Pinkoson, Ross Ambrose
Children's Trust of Alachua County Meeting Dates
The next meeting of the Children's Trust is scheduled for Monday, May 20th at 4:00 pm. The meeting will be held at the Alachua County Health Department, Thomas Coward Auditorium.
The tentative schedule of meetings through September 30, 2019 (meetings begin at 4:00 pm) are June 10th, June 17th, July 1st, August 5th, August 19th, September 9th, and September 16th.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are held in the Jack Durrance Auditorium, 2nd Floor, County Administration Building, 12 SE 1st Street, Gainesville, FL.
If you would like to be added to the meetings notification list or to receive an agenda packet, please send your request via to email@example.com.
05/20/19 Meeting Information
Monday, May 20, 2019; 4:00 pm
Thomas Coward Auditorium
John Henry Thomas, M.D., Center
218 SE 24th Street, Gainesville, FL 32641
The public is encouraged to attend.
For further information contact Tom Tonkavich, Assistant Director, Community Support Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If any accommodations are needed for persons with disabilities, please contact the Equal Opportunity Office at (352) 374-5275 or (352) 374-5284 TDD.