Hutch has worked as a professional in the following in public agencies:
- Withlacoochee Regional Planning Council (energy planner and strategic planner)
- Gainesville Regional Utilities (energy analyst and information specialist)
- Gainesville Downtown Redevelopment Agency (director)
From 1998–2002, Hutch was an Alachua County Commissioner. During this earlier term in office, he chaired the County Commission, the Library Governing Board, the Metropolitan Transportation Planning Organization, and served on a dozen other committees and boards. He spearheaded the Alachua County Forever referendum in 2000, and the Wild-Spaces-Public Places referendum in 2008.
Hutch served on the board of directors of the Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce from 2005-2011 during the conceptualization and roll-out of Innovation Gainesville. He has been a founding or long-time board member of the Florida Community Design Center, Sustainable Alachua County, Friends of Paynes Prairie, and No More Homeless Pets. He served on the Depot Park Committee for a decade, and spent 2011 on the Envision Alachua task force. He recently began serving on the boards of Paddle Florida and Cinema Verde, and co-founded and sits on the boards of Conservation Burial, Inc., and the Wagmore Foundation.
Hutch was elected for the second time to the County Commission in 2012, and his committee participation currently includes:
- Career Source Board, Alachua /Bradford County
- Career Source Dual County Consortium, Alachua/Bradford
- CJMHSAGPC - Criminal Justice Mental Health Substance Abuse Grant Planning Committee
- Combined Communications Center (CCC) Executive Board
- Metropolitan Transportation Planning Organization (MTPO)
- Public Safety Coordinating Council
- Self-Insurance Review Committee