Evinston Named after a leading landowner in the region, this town was formed by the arrival of the railroad in 1882. It had extensive orange groves until the freezes of the 1890s.
Traxler Now one of the region's lost towns, it was founded by William Traxler, who established a store, cotton gin and grist mill on the old Bellamy Road. A school, post office and church were nearby.
Hague Another town created by the coming of a railroad line in 1883, it got its name from its first postmaster, Archelaus Hague.
La Crosse Settlers arrived in this area in the 1830s and 1840s and by the 1880s, the town had stores, churches and a hotel. Incorporated in 1897, the town's chief crops were cotton and potatoes. Now vegetables and livestock are its main industries.
Earleton This hamlet was the site of the plantation of General Elias Earle, established in the 1840s around Lake Sante Fe. In the 1870s, a tourist hotel was located here.
Windsor Settled in 1846 as a cotton plantation and named after its English founders, the town prospered as a citrus center in the 1880s. During these years, it also attracted tourists and had a population of more than 400. The freezes of the 1890s destroyed the citrus industry and now only a few homes remain, one a historic site.
Campville Founded in 188l, the town was named for the Camp brothers, who operated a large sawmill in the area. They also established the Campville Brick Co., which became the town's main industry until its closing in 1940.
Rochelle Settled in the 1830s, the town was known as Perry's Junction after Madison Starke Perry, a wealthy plantation owner who served as governor from 1857 to 1861. Renamed Gruelle, it became Rochelle in 1884 to honor Martha Rochelle Perry, his wife. It too had a brief citrus prosperity.
Island Grove Established in 1884, the town received its name because it was surrounded by water. It became a shipping center for citrus and vegetables and had a cigar and moss factory before the severe freezes of the 1890s.
Cross Creek Never more than a few fishing camps, Cross Creek became the home of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings in 1928 and has been immortalized by her two finest books, The Yearling and Cross Creek. Her cracker home is a National Historic Site. Alachua County also has scores of "lost towns," including Traxler, Adam, Bland, Budu, Eve, Paradise, Kokomo, Atlas, Half Moon, Peach Orchard, Tacoma, Gordon, Haile, Hogtown, Dells, Arrendondo, Jonesville, Tioga and Tuscawilla