- Have daily contact will adoptable dogs only.
- Teach adoptable dogs basic skills and manners in order to make them easier to place in a home.
Trains adoptable dogs to:
- sit, down, stay and come.
- leave it, take it.
- remain in a sit position until released while food is being place on the ground.
- remain in a sit position until released while a door is being opened.
- allow its paws, ears and mouth to be examined and handled.
- accept basic grooming.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- have basic experience in dog behavior and handling;
- be willing to spend the time needed to teach these basic skills;
- have the ability to be comfortable handling dogs that may not have had any training.
- These dogs may jump up, be mouthy, want to chew, pull on the leash, etc.
- Volunteers may interact with ONLY those animals already available for adoption.
- Volunteers are restricted from any interaction with incoming, stray or quarantined animals.
- Volunteers may interact with ONLY those members of the public who are interested
in adopting animals.
- Volunteers will NEVER make decisions or recommendations about which animals should be made available for adoption.
You can view a PDF Social Skills Trainer pamphlet.