This ordinance applies to businesses located in the unincorportated areas of Alachua County. For information, see the City of Gainesville's Mandatory Commercial Recycling Ordinance
Alachua County instituted a mandatory commercial recycling program for commercial properties by Alachua County Code Section 75.100 (07/24/01).
Recycling of additional materials from commercial properties
- saves money otherwise spent on disposal costs
- helps protect the environment
Owners of commercial properties in the unincorporated area of Alachua County
EXEMPTIONS are available by request of owner if the property:
- produces less than 4 (four) cubic yards of solid waste per week
- produces designated recyclables that constitute less than 15% of their solid waste
Property owners are required to provide recycling facilities and the opportunity to recycle for tenants. Recycling facilities should be set-up to accept at least three (3) of the eight (8) designated commodities.
- steel cans
- aluminum cans with a volume up to 2.5 gallons
- glass containers with a volume up to 2.5 gallons
- plastic containers (PETE, HDPE, or PVC) with a volume up to 2.5 gallons
- office paper
- corrugated cardboard