All middle school, high school and college students in Alachua County are invited to participate.
The competition will be held at the Florida Museum of Natural History. Participating students, their families and teachers are invited to attend the awards reception at the Florida Museum of Natural History on November 16, 2012.
Artwork must be comprised of 70% or more recycled/recyclable/reused materials.
Must fit through a standard doorway.
Maximum 9.5 ft high.
Must be easily movable, weighing less than 50 pounds.
Cannot hang from ceiling or walls. If your artwork needs to hang you must provide your own device or structure to hang it from and/or with (i.e. Easel)
Cannot contain or produce any liquids
Cannot contain live materials.
No use of weapons or simulated weapons
You must provide all of your own supplies and tools that you will need for your project and its display purposes.
Must provide any power or extension cords. Advance notice is required for items needing power.
Your artwork needs not to require staff assistance to be assembled (especially to be moved around) or to brought into the facility. If need be you may need to have your artwork on a mobile pallet that you provide. Please provide a stabilization device if your project needs one.
The judging will be based on creative expression and the innovative use of reused/recycled materials.
The judging is conducted by art professors, museum curators, art appraisers and/or gallery owners and will take place at 5:30 p.m. on November 16, 2012.
This year there will be an additional Sea Turtle Conservation theme .
Nov. 1 by 5:00 PM
Application deadline (email, fax, mail)
Nov. 15 12:00-5:00 PM
Drop off artwork at FLMNH (No late submissions)
Nov. 16 5:30-8:00 PM
Judging/Awards/Reception at FLMNH
Nov. 19 by 5:00 PM
Pick up all non-winning artwork* from FLMNH
Dec. 3 by 5:00 PM
Pick up all winning artwork** from FLMNH
* All non-winning artwork is to be picked up from the museum by Monday November 19 at 5 PM. Art not picked up by this time will be recycled or considered donated. Those wishing to donate their pieces to the County for display, please circle box on application.
- The awards will be presented in three categories: 1)middle school 2)high school and 3)college
- There are three winners per category. The award amounts for 1st, 2nd and 3rd are $400, $300, $200 respectively.
- Three additional awards will be given in each category: 1)The Waste Watcher award, 2) The Museum award, 3)Sea Turtle Conservation Award.
- Awards may take 4-6 weeks to receive and require a SSN.