Skip to Content Skip to Main Menu Skip to Global Menu
Colclough Lake Colclough Lake
Home Citizen Services Residents Businesses Visitors Emergency Services County Offices

Materials collected include:

  • Poisons
  • Flammable Liquids
  • Corrosives
  • Used Motor Oil and Filters
  • Brake Fluid, Transmission Fluid
  • Automotive Batteries
  • Antifreeze
  • Stale Gas
  • Paints and Other Surface Coatings
  • Aerosol Containers
  • Dry Cell Batteries
  • Fluorescent Lamps
  • End of Life Electronics (E-Scrap or E-Waste)
  • Un-repairable or obsolete TV's, computers, computer monitors, stereo equipment, VCR's.
The HHWCC will not accept radioactive materials, infectious or biological wastes, asbestos, pressurized gas cylinders (except Propane Tanks), pyrophorics or explosives. Medical Sharps will be accepted on behalf of the Alachua County Public Health Unit, but must be brought in approved Sharps containers.

The Rural Collection Centers

Alachua County collects the following recyclable hazardous waste at five rural solid waste collection facilities:

  • Automotive Fluids
  • Automotive Batteries
  • Dry Cell/Button Batteries (all types)
  • Latex and Oil based Paint
  • Used Oil Filters
  • Fluorescent Tubes
  • Used Motor Oil (5 gal. limit per person)
  • Electronics (computers, TVs, consumer electronics)
  • Aerosol cans

When you arrive at the collection center, ask the attendant to direct you to the proper receptacle. The collection centers will not accept more than five gallons of waste oil per person. Ask your neighborhood automotive service center if they will accept your used oil for recycling. Keep rainwater and leaves from accumulating in the used oil storage container.

Southwest Landfill (Scale House)
2 miles west of Archer on SR 24. 495-3257

Alachua-High Springs Solid Waste Collection Center
Midway between Alachua and High Springs on US 441. 454-2563

Fairbanks Solid Waste Collection Center
6 miles north of Gainesville on SR 24 (Waldo Road) 334-3873

North Central Solid Waste Collection Center
North Central Alachua County, SR 121 (also called NW 34th St) 2.5 miles north of US 441. 334-3875

Phifer Solid Waste Collection Center
6 miles east of Gainesville on SR 20 (Hawthorne Rd) 334-3874

Hours of Operation

  • Monday & Tuesday: 7:30 am-5:30 pm
  • Wednesday & Thursday: CLOSED
  • Friday & Saturday: 7:30am-5:30pm
  • Sunday: CLOSED

The following businesses accept used oil for recycling:

All Discount Auto Parts Stores: (5 Gal. Limit per person, per day)
1035 E. University Ave 371-7515
239 N.W. 75th Street 332-8931
2830 N.W. 13th Street 371-3083
14560 MLK Blvd, Alachua 904-418-1140
725 W. Noble Ave, Williston 352-528-9800

All Auto Zone Stores: (20 Qt. Limit per person, per day)
3919 N.W. 13th Street 378-1628
1341 E. University Ave 378-2023

University Shell: (up to 5 gal.)
215 N.W. 13th Street 378-0161

Shelby Texaco: (1 gal.)
I-75 and Newberry Rd 331-4444

Pep Boys: (3 gal., in a clean container)
7725 Newberry Rd 332-9444

City Boys Tire & Brake: (3 gal.)
330 N. Main St. High Springs 904-454-2193

If you have any question regarding Household Hazardous Waste, please contact at (352)-334-0440 or the ACEPD at (352)-264-6800.

Hazardous Waste Collection Center Locations

Click on the Symbol on the Map below for each Collection Center for Information on Location and Phone Number.


The HHWCC is Located at 5125 NE 63rd Ave. next to the Leveda Brown Environmental Park and Transfer Station (2 Miles North of the Gainesville Airport off Waldo Rd North of the Airport -- follow the signs)

This website is a public service. Please read the Legal Disclaimer. Website designed and engineered by Alachua County ITS.Applications Division Version 2010 (v1.0)

Under Florida law (Statute 119.011), all information, including e-mail, written letters, documents and phone messages, sent to the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners is subject to Public Records law. This includes the sender's e-mail address, home address or phone number if shown in the message, the content of the message and any associated attachments to the mail. Also please be aware that electronic correspondence (e-mail) is made available on the Commission's public archive site immediately upon being sent. Instead, contact Alachua County Offices by phone or in writing.