April Family & Consumer Science Programs
3/16/2010 12:00 AM
ALACHUA COUNTY, FL - The Alachua County Extension Office is pleased to announce the following Family & Consumer Sciences Programs, for April 2010. These programs are offered by Dr. Brenda Williams, Family & Consumer Sciences Agent. All of these programs are held at the Extension Office (2800 NE 39th Avenue, Gainesville)
- Building Your Financial Future (A Personal Financial Management Program) - April 7, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Attendees will learn 4 basic concepts that will aid in handling financial resources responsibly and building a financially secure future. This program has been approved to issue certificates evidencing completion of a personal financial management instructional course in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code. Topics include:
- Develop Your Budget
- Money Management Skills
- Use Credit Responsib
- Consumers Rights and Responsibilities
Cost to attend this class is $10.00 (for course materials). Pre-register by March 31 by calling 352-337-6209.
- Before You Tie the Knot - April 19 & 26, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Before You Tie the Knot is a premarital preparation course. Topics include:
- Conflict Management & Resolution
- Financial Responsibility & Spending Plans
- Children & Parenting Responsibilities
Completion of this course is required to receive a $32.50 reduction of marriage license fee and a waiver of the three day waiting period. Attendees will receive a certificate of completion and a copy for the Clerk of the Court. There is no cost to attend this two evening class. Pre-register by April 12 by calling 352-337-6209.
- Food Safety and Quality Program (ServSafe) - April 29, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This program is dedicated to providing training which enables food managers and staff to offer Florida consumers food that is prepared in a clean and safe environment.
For further information and to register, please visit http://foodsafety.ifas.ufl.edu, or call toll-free at 1-888-232-8723.
- Canning Workshops - Call the desired location for reservation ï¿½ limited seating. $3.00 charge for materials (optional). Pay at the door.
Demonstrations and tips on pressure canning, boiling water canning, making jams and jellies and pickling will be presented.
- Tuesday, March 30 at 6 p.m. Newberry Library, 110 South Seaboard Drive, Newberry. 352-472-1135.
- Tuesday, April 6 at 2 & 6 p.m. Levy County Extension Office, 625 North Hathaway Avenue, Bronson. 352-486-5131.
- Tuesday, April 13 at 2 & 6 p.m. Alachua County Extension Office, 2800 NE 39 Avenue, Gainesville. 352-337-6209.
- Saturday, April 24 at 2 p.m. Tower Road Library, 3020 SW 75 Street, Gainesville. 352-333-2840.
- Tuesday, April 27 at 2 & 6 p.m. at Dixie County Library, 16328 SE 19 Hwy, Cross City. 352-498-1219.
- Tuesday, May 4 at 2 & 6 p.m. at Gilchrist County Library, 105 NE 11 Avenue, Trenton. 352-473-3174 (Gilchrist County Extension office).
For more information about these programs call 352-955-2402. For alternate class dates, or view the complete brochure, visit http://alachua.ifas.ufl.edu/calendar.shtml.
All Extension Programs and Services are open to all without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin or handicap. For persons requiring special accommodations, please contact the Extension office at (352) 955-2402 (voice) or TDD/TYY (352) 955-2406 or at the Alachua County Extension Service, 2800 NE 39th Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32609. Please contact the Extension Office at least five working days prior to the program so that proper consideration may be given to the request.