Farmers Market "Cash Mob"1/27/2012 12:00 AM
- ALACHUA COUNTY, FL - The Florida Organic Growers (FOG), the Alachua County Office of Sustainability, Little Bean Productions, Blue Oven Kitchens, and Buy Local North Central Florida, announce a "Cash Mob" at the Alachua County 441 Farmers Market (5920 NW 13th Street). The goal of the event is to gather a crowd to promote local food and economic development.
- Attendees are encouraged to spend $20 at the 441 Farmers Market on Saturday, February 4, 2012, from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. This family friendly event will include a bounce house, local food vendors (The Loving Hut), and Waldorf School provided kid's activities. A short film will be produced from this event to promote farmers markets in Alachua County.
- Cash Mobs are modeled after social networking Flash Mobs; events where large groups of people gather to celebrate artistic expression. A Cash Mob adds the element of supporting local businesses by spending $20. The 441 Farmers Market Cash Mob will support the local food economy by increasing the viability of area farms.
- "Everyone benefits when local farmers are supported. We enrich our community's capacity to provide access to healthy, fresh food and develop a healthier citizenry," said Alachua County Sustainability Program Manager, Sean McLendon. He continued saying, "Creativity and innovation inspire the local food movement that is creating a new generation of entrepreneurs. A
- Cash Mob is a small idea that can leverage big results."
FOG is doubling the first ten dollars Food Stamp purchases while funds are available.
- For more information, contact FOG's Felipe Echeverri at 352-870-7565 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Alachua County contact: Sean McLendon, 352-548 3765 or email@example.com.